Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

Chief defends delay telling public of mass shooter at-large

The police chief in the California city where 20 people were shot at a ballroom dance hall, 11 fatally, has defended his decision not to warn the public for hours that a killer was on the loose

  • Updated
  • 0

MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (AP) — The police chief in the California city where 20 people were shot — 11 fatally — at a ballroom dance hall defended his decision not to warn the public for hours that a killer was on the loose, saying Wednesday he didn’t have enough information to effectively alert residents.

Monterey Park Chief Scott Wiese said police in the region were alerted and it didn’t make sense to send out a warning at night to residents in the predominantly Asian American city even after learning the suspect may have targeted a nearby dance club after the massacre.

“I’m not going to send my officers door to door waking people up and telling them that we’re looking for a male Asian in Monterey Park,” Wiese told The Associated Press. "It’s not going to do us any good.”

The shooting at Star Ballroom Dance Studio at 10:22 p.m. Saturday occurred just an hour or so after tens of thousands of people attended Lunar New Year festivities in the city. The public wasn't notified of the mass shooting for five hours, raising questions about why an alert wasn't sent to people in the area.

Huu Can Tran, 72, who was said to frequent the dance hall and fancied himself as an instructor, carried out the shooting with a submachine gun-style semi-automatic weapon with large capacity magazine, authorities said.

Tran fled in a white van before officers arrived at the scene of chaotic carnage and about 20 minutes later he entered another dance hall in nearby Alhambra, where an employee confronted and disarmed him during a brief struggle.

Chris Grollnek, an active shooter expert, said police never should have waited so long to warn the public about the possible threat posed by a gunman at large. The city had access to an automated alert system and even putting out a little information would have been better than nothing.

“They should have gotten the word out sooner,” Grollnek said. “I think everybody’s lucky he didn’t make it to a third location.”

Wiese, who had been sworn in as chief two days before Saturday's shooting, said he quickly learned about the second incident at the Lai Lai Ballroom but it wasn't immediately clear the two were connected.

Patrol officers in Monterey Park and Alhambra traded details of their two incidents, prompting investigators to look into a potential connection, Wiese said.

“We put that together pretty quickly but we still had very limited information,” he said.

Wiese said they were piecing together information from some 40 witnesses — many of whom didn't speak English — and didn't want to broadcast incorrect information. He said that notifying other local, state and federal agencies gave them the ability to get the word out.

A sheriff’s official confirmed the fatalities to the AP shortly before 2:36 a.m. Sunday but it wasn’t until roughly an hour later — some five hours after the shooting — that law enforcement first mentioned a suspect was at-large.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said his department’s decision to release information was “strategic” but promised a review of the timeline.

“When we started putting out public information, the priority was to get this person into custody,” Luna said Monday. His department, which is handling the investigation, hasn't released information about the shooting since Monday.

The first news conference about the shooting was held Sunday morning by a sheriff's captain. Several hours later, Tran was found dead in his van from a self-inflicted gunshot, authorities said. A handgun was found in the vehicle.

The slayings during what should have been joyful Lunar New Year celebrations sent ripples of fear through Asian American communities that were already dealing with increased hatred and violence directed at them.

Listen now and subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS Feed | Omny Studio

Less than 48 hours later, a gunman in Northern California shot eight fellow farmworkers — killing seven — at mushroom farms in Half Moon Bay. The shooter was of Chinese descent and most of the victims were Asian.

Outside the locked gates of Star Dance Studio, a popular venue for older Asian Americans, a memorial grew higher Wednesday with mounds of bouquets and balloons. Hundreds of people carrying flowers, candles and incense showed up for a vigil.

Marlene Xu gathered with fellow dancers by a row of flower-framed photos of the victims. Xu said she danced at Star Dance Studio four times a week and when she heard about the shootings, spent an entire day and night in tears.

“It’s hard for us because it’s a part of my life — it’s like a part of your life is gone,” she said.

Sabine Slome, who works as a pharmaceutical representative in the city, wept after paying her respects and leaving behind flowers.

“I just pray that we will learn from this,” she said. “It’s just heartbreaking. How many more shootings?”

Hearts were scribbled in pink and red chalk in the parking lot where the first victim was killed in her car.

“Monterey Park I hope you know how loved you are,” a message read.

Vice President Kamala Harris, dressed in black, visited the memorial in the dance studio parking lot Wednesday before heading to a senior center to talk to relatives of the victims.

Harris paused in front of each of the large, rose-framed placards that contained photos or names of the victims. She placed a large bouquet of yellow and white flowers alongside scores of others.

Speaking briefly to reporters, Harris relayed sentiments on behalf of President Joe Biden and called for stricter gun control laws.

“Tragically we keep saying the same things,” Harris said. “Congress must act."

“Can they do something? Yes. Should they do something? Yes. Will they do something? That is where we all must speak up,” Harris said.

Pope Francis was among those offering condolences, saying in a message to the Los Angeles archbishop that he “implores the divine gifts of healing and consolation upon the injured and bereaved.”

Wiese said he's seen a lot during his three decade career, but some of the first officers on the scene were rookies who had never faced such carnage and the trauma will be hard to forget.

Paramedics were loading the wounded into ambulances and treating others inside when the chief arrived. There were bodies every 10 feet: some slumped over tables, others sprawled on the dance floor.

“It’s hard to put words to it,” he said. “It takes your breath away when you see it. And it kind of burns the image into your brain.”

Melley reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press journalist Julie Watson in San Diego contributed to this report.

Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Authorities say the body of a woman reported missing after threatening to tell the wife of the man she was dating that he was having an affair was found buried in a field near his Dallas-area home. The remains were discovered Wednesday evening in Grand Prairie. Collin County sheriff's office said Thursday that the remains are those of 33-year-old Kayla Kelley. She was reported missing last week. Ocastor Ferguson, who is 32, was arrested Saturday on a kidnapping charge in her disappearance. She was reported missing on Jan. 11. Ferguson remained in jail Thursday. Records did not list an attorney for him.

Kentucky Republicans are trying to pry open correspondence that Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear and his inner circle had about school closures during the height of the COVID-19 outbreak. Their sweeping request comes as Beshear ramps up his bid for a second term in a state Republicans have come to dominate. A dozen Republicans are competing for a shot at trying to unseat Beshear. Now the Kentucky GOP wants to dig into pandemic-era correspondence received or sent by Beshear and key administration members. The GOP's aim: to link the governor to flagging Kentucky student test scores that reflected pandemic-related setbacks, which were part of a nationwide trend.

A young passenger of an SUV involved in a head-on collision on a Texas highway that left seven others dead remains in critical condition. The Texas Department of Safety said the crash happened Sunday in suburban Comal County, near San Antonio, when a pickup truck veered into an oncoming lane and struck the SUV. Authorities say five of the victims killed were riding in the SUV, including two children and the driver. Both the driver and a passenger in the pickup truck were pronounced dead on the scene. Authorities did not immediately release names or ages of the victims.

Attorneys for the family of a Black motorist who died after a violent encounter with Memphis police say officers beat Tyre Nichols for three minutes in a “savage” encounter reminiscent of the infamous 1991 police beating of Los Angeles motorist Rodney King. Attorney Ben Crump said Monday that police body camera video viewed by the family showed that Nichols was shocked, pepper-sprayed and restrained after the 29-year-old FedEx worker and father was pulled over Jan. 7. Nichols’ family agreed with investigators’ request to wait a week or two before the video is made public. Nichols’ stepfather says he ran “because he was scared for his life.” The police department fired five officers who were involved. All five are Black.

Officials say video footage of Tyre Nichols’ arrest will be released to the public after an internal investigation into the actions of Memphis Police Department officers is completed and his family can review it. The city’s mayor and police chief released a joint statement Tuesday as friends and relatives held a memorial service for the 29-year-old Nichols. His arrest and death has led to separate investigations by the police department and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. Nichols’ family and their supporters have pushed for the release of police body camera footage and have called for officers to face charges stemming from the Jan. 7 arrest.

A judge has ordered a man released immediately after his attorneys presented new evidence and argued that he didn’t commit the crimes he was convicted of and spent more than 20 years in prison for: the 1991 murder, kidnapping and sexual assault of a woman visiting Hawaii. The judge ruled Tuesday that Albert “Ian” Schweitzer be “released from his shackles immediately." A petition filed late Monday outlined additional evidence in one of Hawaii’s biggest murders, which unfolded on Christmas Eve in 1991 on Hawaii Island, commonly known as the Big Island.

A protest has turned violent in downtown Atlanta in the wake of the killing of an environmental activist by authorities. Officials say the 26-year-old shot and wounded  a state trooper. Masked activists dressed in all black threw rocks and lit fireworks in front of a skyscraper that houses the Atlanta Police Foundation on Saturday evening. They lit a police cruiser on fire and vandalized other buildings with anti-police graffiti. Authorities say they made six arrests and halted the violence. The activist, who went by Tortuguita, was killed Wednesday as authorities cleared protesters from the site of a planned public safety training center. Authorities say the trooper fired in self-defense, but activists question that account.

Authorities say the suspect in a California dance club shooting that left 10 dead has shot and killed himself. Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna says the man killed himself as police officers closed in on the van he used to flee the scene of an attempted second shooting. Luna has identified the suspect at 72-year-old Huu Can Tran. He says no other suspects are at large. Luna did not have the exact ages of the victims but said they all appeared to be over 50. Seven of the wounded people remained in the hospital.

Chicago authorities say one person has died and eight others were taken to hospitals Wednesday as firefighters responded to a high-rise apartment building fire on the city’s South Side. Sophia King, the alderman for the area, says the person who died was found in the apartment where officials believe the fire began. Video from outside the building showed bright orange flames on multiple floors. Fire Commissioner Annette Nance-Holt says the fire began on the 15th floor and traveled up to the 24th floor as firefighters worked to put it out.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert