Chad Conine and Brice Cherry are back to talk Centex football headed in Week 7 of the 2021 season:
• Does a game need to have meaningful context in order to be a great game? Can two winless teams play an instant classic?
• In a totally unrelated segue, Midway heads to Waco High this week, and either the Panthers or Lions will emerge with their first win of the season. But instead of focusing on the result, let's pick three of the all-time greats for each school to join the current roster, Madden-style.
• This week doesn't seem to have any "wow" games happening, but that doesn't mean there aren't teams under the radar who will wind up making a deep playoff run — despite their current records.
Like China Spring last year, which stumbled to a third-place district finish by losing to two good squads in Salado and Connally. Then the Cougars had to face Jasper in bi-district and pulled off a major upset, making a run all the way to the region final where only Carthage could stop them.
Do we see any teams with currently unimpressive records that could be the 2021 version of the Cougars? What about 2-5 Cameron Yoe, now 2-1 in district, or 3-3 La Vega, which is 0-1 in district?
• Speaking of China Spring, the Cougars travel to Gatesville this week, and so does Chad, for reasons well-known to every Centex sportswriter: the magnificent spread in the Hornets' press box. But for anyone not heading to Gatesville, the question is this: What is your perfect pregame meal?
A few reminders
• Check out our live coverage Friday nights on Twitter with the hashtag #TribFridayNight.
• Remember to nominate your Honor Roll players, with stats, at email@example.com by noon Saturday.